The purpose of this safer practice solution is to reduce the number of patient deaths, and incidents causing patient harm, associated with infusion device use.
The NPSA recommends that clinical governance leads identify a senior member of staff, such as the head of clinical/medical engineering, to coordinate the review.
The resources below include:
- Baseline assessment and decision-making guidance (purchasing toolkit);
- Questionnaire which helps evaluate the usability of a particular type of infusion device prior to purchase;
- Advice on developing a centralised equipment library;
- Spreadsheet for carrying out an economic appraisal to establish potential cost benefits;
- Evaluation of the NPSA pilot study;
- Patient information tested in the pilot sites, for including in patient publications;
- Frequently asked questions.
The resources below were previously hosted by the NHS Purchasing and Supply Agency (NHS PASA.